I just posted a new video tour of my gameroom last night. I pulled all of my games so I could take a monitor inventory, so I took the opportunity to rearrange the games. I really like the new layout.
Last week I picked up a decent Frogger upright from Craigslist. I purchased it not working. The screen did come up solid green when I first turned it on, but now it is dead. The cabinet is a little odd, because it is not the dedicated factory woodgrain. It has a light grey laminate surface. After looking around on the inside of the cabinet, I determined that this was originally a Super Moon Cresta.
It looks like it was a factory conversion of the Super Moon Cresta, since the cabinet is the same as the dedicated Frogger. The PCB inside is the older 44-pin “Galaxian” style PCB. I find it odd that Sega/Gremlin/Konami used the PCB architecture of a Galaxian, which was from Namco/Bally-Midway. It looks exactly like my Pac-Man PCB, but with a different daughtercard.
The game in in decent condition. It has very nice side art. The Control Panel Overlay was peeling off, due to some poor conversion techniques. It looks as if the original control panel overlay was peeled off, then the control panel was painted black over the left over adhesive. It obviously didn’t adhere well, which caused the new overlay to peel off the paint. I pulled the overlay off easily, and will try to reapply it with some spray adhesive after I properly clean off the panel. This will be a temporary repair until I buy a new overlay. This overlay is pretty thick so it may just look fine for now. Better than bare metal.
The cardboard bezel is missing, but I can pick one up from Arcadeshop.com soon.
Inside everything looks intact. The fuses were all good. I’ll need to sweep out the inside because it has its fair share of dust inside.
Friday night I decided to see if I could figure out the board problems. First I tried all the normal stuff, like reseating all the socketed chips and cleaning off the edge connectors. Nothing. I did some research on the board and found out it was indeed identical to a Galaxian board, but with a few minor changes. The cabinet supplies this board with AC power instead of DC power like “newer” classic games. There were some excellent instructions online for converting a Galaxian PCB from AC to DC by removing the power components from the PCB. I thought I’d give this a run. I followed Paul Swan’s Instructions for this conversion. They were very easy to follow. Note that there is another site with a copy of these instructions that has the final pinouts incorrectly listed, so make sure you get the right pinouts.
Once I completed the changes, I hooked the board up to my JAMMA Test rig. SUCCESS!!!! Frogger fired right up!
Since the PCB was working on DC voltage, I needed to add a DC power supply. Standard arcade “switching” power supplies work great and can be purchased for around $25, but I have several old Dell ATX computer power supplies lying around. I decided to use one of these instead. It takes a little more work to prepare and wire up a computer power supply, but the results will be fine! I used an older Dell ATX, so I had to find the proper wiring pinouts to make sure I got the proper wires for each voltage needed. Dell used a different pinout than standard for these old supplies, so verify pinouts if you ever decide to do one of these power supplies. I cut off the wires from the power supply I was using, and terminated them on a terminal strip. Now I have connections just like a standard power supply.
Last night I spent several hours working on the inside wiring. I rigged up the power supply and I trimmed back all the old power wiring that will no longer be used. I also replaced the edge connector on the harness because the pins were worn out. Several years ago I got a nice sampling of Molex edge connectors and crimp pins. These work great and gave me a much better connection. I didn’t have to solder the wires to the pins either since they were crimp connectors. The machine had a broken degauss switch inside the coin door, so I disconnected it and tied up the wires so I could repair that circuit later on. I also took the time to clean up the inside of the cabinet. 25+ years of dust is never nice to have in your gameroom!
So after I got all the guts put back together, I had a working Frogger. The monitor image looked a little fuzzy and didn’t fit the screen well. I’m hoping a cap kit will fix it all up!
So that leaves me the following to fully complete this game:
2. Donkey Kong
5. Crazy Climber
6. Robotron: 2084
7. Ms. Pac-Man
9. Donkey Kong Jr.